Sunday, April 12, 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer Review

The new trailer for the much anticipated return to the Star Wars universe has been released! Being a huge fan of the series, this excited me, and I thought there was no better way to return to my blog than to share my thoughts about it! In order to read this post though you are probably going to want to watch the trailer below.

Was that not fantastic? So anyway I'm going to start discussing it from the beginning, in which we hear Andy Serkis speaking lines. What he is saying can lead us to believe there has been an "awakening", as the title states, in the force, more specifically, the dark side. After that, we see someone dressed as a storm trooper in a mad panic, sweating heavily. Now this has led to some heavy criticism from fans. Many are saying that he can't be a storm trooper since they are all clones, however I think it is way to early to tell if that is even what they are trying to do, and that he is maybe in a disguise like Luke and Han were in A New Hope.

We then see a few other things, a soccer ball looking droid, which is an interesting looking take on the classic R2 unit look, then some footage of a bunch of storm troopers ready to go into battle. This shows us that conflicts are arising again, and that something is really about to go down.

The next clip was something really interesting... we see a girl, who non-coincidentally looks a lot like Princess Leia, get onto a pod and shoot off. Obviously this leads us to believe that this is the dream off-spring of Han Solo and Leia. This will be something interesting to see, and the film is rumored to be centered on the later generations of the Skywalker family.

After that there is a few scenes of some classic Star Wars ship battles, which gives me hope since they look a lot like the classic trilogy, but after that is when the real fun starts. A darkened figure, I'm presuming to be an offspring of Luke, is walking through a forest, and as he stops he pulls out something no one expected... a triple-bladed lightsaber. Now another criticism of this trailer was the practicality of the lightsaber, how will he be able to do tricks? Won't it cut off his hand if he messes up? Well those questions could be said about Darth Maul's double blade, but that was probably the best thing about the prequel trilogy! I think it will be practical since it is very reminiscent of old swords used in the middle-ages and it will be able to protect someone better while in battle.


After that we get to see the final, and by far the most satisfying shot of the entire trailer: the soon to be famous Millennium Falcon barrel roll. Seeing this shot made me giggle and smile and jump around like a child the first five times I watched this trailer (yes, I did watch it more than five times). Now my prediction is that at some point during the film, most likely this scene, Han Solo is going to be back in the pilot seat of the falcon. It just makes sense having him and Chewy back where they started.

Overall I loved this trailer, and it makes me even more excited for this upcoming film. What my main concern was if it was really going to be a Star Wars film, and what I mean by that is will it do justice, and actually restore the greatness that was the originals, or fall under the unfortunate curse of the prequels. I am very excited to say it looks like, and I say this with caution, it can be as good as the originals. I just cannot wait to find out if it will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment