Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Flash: TV Show Review

Most of you readers know, that my blog has mostly consisted of music and movie reviews. But I would like to live up to the name/blog change that I have made and go further into it with a review on my thoughts of the new Flash TV show.

The pilot episode was released on Tuesday October 7th (ironically my birthday, how nice of them). While watching it, I couldn't help but feel like this show was very heavily influenced by Sam Raimi's spider-man films. It sets up the whole origin story very similarly, as well as the action scenes, and the special effects are quite reminiscent. This is hardly a bad thing however, many superheros (such as the Flash) are very hard to translate to film, it is hard for them to not try to come across as trying to be serious and have that flop. The other option is to embrace the cheesiness, and boy they did. They cheesed it up just like a mouse in Wisconsin. They poured a whole bottle of Reddi-cheese on this show and doused it with an extra layer of queso!

Now, you're probably wondering if it was really that cheesey, and the answer is no. If it tells you anything , it is very similar to something you would see in the comics. I am being honest when I say they were definitely not holding any of it back. Now for many people this will be a turn off for. For the people the show is really targeting though, it won't be a problem at all! For me, it wasn't too big of a problem, but if I continue to watch it I could see it getting old real fast. I mean, the acting was pretty mediocre and the writing, don't even get me started on that.

Going into this, I did not expect much out of the action scenes. How could you really? You don't see too much examples of well executed super-speed, with the only exceptions being Quicksilver's "Time in a Bottle Scene" from X-Men Days of Future Past and Dash running on water in The Incredibles. Now nothing in this show did justice to either of those examples, but for the budget of a television show I thought they did fine. It made use of a lot of slow motion and styling effects of that sort to make it seem more realistic. In addition to that whenever Flash would be running we would either see it very up close or from a very wide angle. The wide angle actually added an interesting perspective that enhanced these scenes.

One of my biggest complaints is of the character development, it seemed like the writers tried to force a lot on you that could have fit into a three episode long area, but I'd rather have this than stretching out of material that ends up falling short. Over all I thought "The Flash" was alright, not too good or bad. I can see it sliding into the path of bad some point soon though, but I guess I will just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment