Monday, April 6, 2015

Tove Lo: Habits/Stay High Song Review

Okay, let's talk about this Tove Lo song everyone around the world has been raving about. First of all, this song has probably had the most remixes and covers than any other song I've seen in the last 17 years of my life. It's pretty much ridiculous how many are out there! There's one's on itunes, one's on spotify, one's on iheart radio, pandora, and my personal favorite one's are on soundlcloud. Don't get me wrong, I love this song and everything about it. And heck yeah I have ALL the different remixes downloaded in my music. All I'm saying is people are crazy about this tune.

Even so, the world loves this song for many different reasons. The sound of the song, the singer of it, and even just because everyone else likes it and listens to it. But only a fraction of the listeners really pay attention to what the song's lyrics are saying. First she says, "... I eat my dinner in my bathtub... Then I go to sex clubs... Watching freaky people getting it on... It doesn't make me nervous... If anything I'm restless... Yeah I've been around and I've seen it all...". She is basically summing up her life at this point in time, saying that she's not nervous about the freaky things these people are doing in all the clubs she goes to and that she's "been around" which means she's slept with a lot of people.

From the tone of the song, I feel like it's more and just about a break up like most people think it is. I think it's about the death of a loved one. Everything in her life has gone down the drain because of her loss. She says that she "spends her days locked in a haze, tryin' to forget you babe. I fall back down. Got to stay high all my life to forget I'm missing you." She is basically spending all her money on alcohol, drugs, and she is just throwing her body around to any stranger that will take her for the night.

She also says that she "picks up daddies at the playground, how I spend my day time". She is pretty much saying that she hooks up with dads she meets at parks. It kind of makes me feel that she likes being a homewrecker, because once she is through with these guys, she won't be the only one who is miserable, because she has messed up the marriage.

Obviously this song is very depressing when you really listen to it. I don' know if this was really based off of what has happened in her past or to a friend or something, but whatever it is, the song has captured the world's attention and maybe makes us feel a little relaxed or on a "high" as she says.

No comments:

Post a Comment